ABOUT THE CONGRESS:
- Is the EAPCCT Congress still going to happen in Palma de Mallorca?
On 15th September, the EAPCCT Board met to discuss options for the 2021 Congress. Reluctantly, given continued uncertainty over the prevalence of Covid-19 and associated restrictions, the board decided that the 2021 Congress will be a virtual one.
Grupo Pacifico, our congress organisers, are negotiating with the venues in Palma de Mallorca to defer our bookings to 2023. We hope to be in Tallinn in 2022!
- When will the 2021 congress be?
Although the exact format of the virtual congress is still being determined we will host the virtual sessions on the same dates as were planned for the congress: 25-28 May 2021.
All sessions of the congress will be available for delegates to register for.
- Are full day programmes envisaged?
Yes, although we recognise that virtual congress attendance is tiring and so the sessions will be available for on-demand viewing; we hope to be able to provide on-demand access within hours of the original presentation so that those in markedly different time-zones can still enjoy them when they wish and at a sensible hour of the day!
Many of the symposia will be updates of those that were planned for the cancelled 2020 Tallinn Congress, although new themes are also being considered, in particular a symposium focusing on COVID-19.
- Will there be a Pre-congress day still?
Yes. This will be held on the 25th May 2021.
The theme of the Pre-congress is ‘Fundamental and applied studies in poisoning – an overview of their role for the clinical toxicologist‘. This pre-congress will provide practical examples of how the ever-increasing range of studies can increase our understanding of the mechanisms and management of poisoning. We have an impressive panel of speakers for this day.
- Will there be parallel sessions?
The final programme is still to be determined, but it is unlikely there will be parallel sessions for the bulk of the meeting. The decision will be dependent on abstract receipts and finances!
- I support the congress as a sponsor, what possibilities are there?
- Since the congress will be virtual when will the final registration dates be?
As usual there will be reduced fees for early booking deadline 23rd March 2021, but after that registration will be possible until the days shortly before the sessions to ensure the congress platforms remain secure.
ABOUT ABSTRACTS AND SCIENTIFIC CONTENTS:
- Will there be poster-type presentations in 2021?
Absolutely! This is one of the most important parts of our congress and there are prizes!
We are looking to make these as interactive as possible so that everyone can discuss posters with their authors either live or in chatroom formats.
As the format will be electronic there will be guidelines for all presenters to optimise presentation quality, and as always abstracts will appear in Clinical Toxicology. So please submit your original work!
- If the congress is virtual the time distance makes it harder for me to attend. Will presentations be available for access after the congress?
Absolutely. We intend that most sessions will be live and recorded for subsequent on-demand access to registrants within hours of the original transmission.
- Will there be the regular annual events such as the Young Investigator Award and the Louis Roche Lecture?
These are all important popular sessions and will be included in our offerings for 2021.
There will also be the inaugural Fellows Lecture: “Vaping Induced Lung Injury” which will be given by Professor David Christiani, Elkan Blout Professor of Environmental Genetics. Director of the Harvard Education and Research Centre for Occupational Safety and Health, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Boston, USA.
- Will there still be prizes for posters and case reports?
Yes – although, sadly, it will not be possible to make the awards in person.
- What are the main topics and symposia themes of the main congress?
As always abstract submissions on all aspects of Clinical Toxicology and Poisons Centre activity are welcomed to bring variety and diversity to the congress academic streams.
Unsurprisingly, we are hoping that there will be many submissions about the effects of COVID-19 on our speciality and that will comprise a major theme.
The major themes of the planned symposia are currently
- Alcohol as a co-ingestant
- Investigation and management of caustic ingestions
- Toxicology 2.0: new tools for data collection, surveillance and education in poisoning
- Drug Formulation and its importance in the poisoned patient
- When will the decisions on abstracts and programmes be announced?
The EAPCCT Scientific and Meetings Committee will meet in early January 2021 to approve abstracts and assist the Chair, Lotte Høgberg, in the complex task of compiling the final programme. All submitters should receive responses by mid-February (date to be confirmed).
- Will accepted abstracts be published in Clinical Toxicology?
Yes – all abstracts accepted for inclusion in the programme will be published in Clinical Toxicology provided registration and congress educational accreditation requirements are completed.
- Will acceptance and publication of a submitted abstract be dependent on congress registration as usual?
Yes – there is a deadline of 25th February for early registration and completion of the congress educational accreditation requirements for presenting authors.
- How will poster display and discussions be handled?
A template and instructions for producing your poster will be provided.
You will also have the option to record a short audio file outlining your work.
All posters and their associated audio files will be ready for preliminary viewing/ listening by all delegates in the week before the congress starts.
Your poster(s) will be allocated for discussion into one of three groups - morning, lunchtime or afternoon (based on your time zone as it relates to CEST), rather than the usual system of having several discussion points in one day.One each day of the main congress there will be a themed discussion room designated for your poster at these times which we expect you, as presenter, to attend - on all three days if possible.We recognise that some presenters may only be able to attend on one or two days only. In this instance, register for the days you can attend, and we will ensure that delegates are advised of your availability accordingly. If you have co-authors that are registered as delegates for the other days then they should make themselves available.
- As the congress is virtual, will the registration fees be lowered?
We have significantly reduced the registration fees for the 2021 virtual congress as we are running fewer academic sessions, and clearly venue and hospitality costs will be minimal! However, the increased technical costs have meant some aspects of the academic sessions have been re-priced accordingly.
There remain significant benefits for EAPCCT and AACT / APAMT members, for early registrations and for the recipients of the EAPCCT Congress Attendance Awards.
Details of the 2021 rates can be found on the registration page https://eapcct2021.com/index.php/registration
- Will my memberships entitle me to reduced fees?
Lower congress fees are a benefit of EAPCCT, AACT and APAMT membership and will be available to paid-up members.
- Will it be possible to register for specific sessions only?
We intend to offer a variety of registration options allowing our delegates in significantly different time zones maximum chance to experience the sessions.
- Will congress attendance awards be available for virtual attendance?
The usual congress attendance awards will be offered to applicants meeting the criteria and submitting an accepted abstract.
- As the congress is virtual will I be able to claim EACCME credits?
Application to have the sessions and the congress approved by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME) will be made and if successful, credits will be available to delegates.
- As the congress is virtual, do I need a special computer equipment?
You will need a reasonably modern computer / mobile / tablet and if presenting you will receive detailed instructions as to requirements. If you can already accommodate video conference apps there should be no issues.
- If the congress is virtual, how will I receive information for sign in?
Your secure and personalised access to the congress platforms will be emailed to you following your successful registration.
- Whom can I contact in case of further questions?
We look forward to welcoming you at our event – so save the dates now!
41st EAPCCT International Virtual Congress
25-28 May 2021
41st EAPCCT International Virtual Congress
25-28 May 2021